Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Why UK card fraud rises above £500m ?

BBC NEWS | Business | UK card fraud rises above ?500m: "Apacs hope that the rising tide of UK fraud will be stemmed by chip and pin technology. "

Maybe they should check that banks actually take action as soon as possible when told about cases of fraud. A year or so ago I spotted a spurious entry (phone top up for a network where i don't have a phone) on my online statement. Phoned the bank (egg) to tell them and was told 'there's not much we can do until we get to see your full statement.' I must say I was tempted to go on a spending spree, and blame that on the fraudster but decided against it in the end.

Also we never hear about what happens when thay investigate the fraud. I'm guessing that in my case someone at an indian restaurant used my number to top up their mobile, should be pretty easy to trace, but I never heard anymore about it other than to get my ?20 back. A few more stories of these scrotes going to prison would be a better deterrent methinks.

No comments: